There is a world of skincare out there. There is information that is both for and against just about any ingredient you can think of. The truth is every single one of us is different. What works for one of us may not work for another. We believe in the healing power of water and we have science and nature to back us up on our love affair. We are going to be detailing some of the ways in which water plays an imperative role in the healing and nourishment of our skin.
- Water provides optimal hydration for our skin. We drink it, and in the same way we need it topically to provide complete hydration. Oils are important to keep the moisture in tact and prevent trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL), but they don’t actually hydrate the skin on their own.
- Water is imperative in utilizing some active ingredients within a formulation. Some ingredients are oil soluble, but many beneficial botanical extracts are water soluble, and can’t be used in an anhydrous formulation. Not to mention certain essential oils need to be diluted to be gentle enough to even use on the dermal layer.
- Penetration and absorption. Water soluble ingredients can have trouble penetrating through the epidermal lipid barrier. However, new research shows that increasing hydration also increases certain penetration of oil and water soluble ingredients.
- Water is cooling. Anti-inflammatory. Calming and soothing. Up to 60% of the adult human body is made up of water. For inflammatory skin conditions like acne and rosacea, water is a healing balm. This is why our formulas are so powerful for sensitive skin. Think about our Hydra Revive Treatment and or our Rapid Clarifying Elixir.
- Water helps us achieve an incredible consistency. Creamy, decadent, highly absorbable and light. We love the feel of our products, and water helps us achieve that beautiful feeling.